Meet the Billionaires Who Tweet
By Forbes’ latest count, there are 1,210 billionaires in the world. There are well less than that on Twitter. Let’s take a look at the billionaires who are tweeting with some selected tweets:
Bill Gates (@BillGates). No surprise the technology billionaire and world’s second richest man with a $56 billion fortune, is on Twitter.
- Best recent tweet: Eradicating Polio- http://bit.ly/fSFAf3– putting excerpts from my letter on GatesNotes and am looking forward to seeing your comments… (A link to his interesting essay on eradticating polio on Feb 16)
- Most incomprehensible (to me anyway): 阅读我的2011年度信：我对于解决小儿麻痹症的看法，乐观的理由及更多. (February 9. Apparently a translation of one of his letters)
- Proof even billionaires have too much free time: I’m guessing not much tweeting has been done from Antarctica – some research stations now have good satellite connections to the Internet. (Feb. 25 2010)
Steve Case (@SteveCase). AOL founder likes to tweet. A lot – 20 on Monday alone.
- Most interesting recent tweet: : ) RT @scottymoss: Met my wife on the original social network (AOL) 16 years ago. @SteveCase Thank you. (March 28)
- Best use of hashtags by a billionaire: Time for sequel to AOL-Time Warner? (WSJ) http://on.wsj.com/hBuYt5 “The technology wasn’t ready yet…now it is”#ithinkilljustshootmyself (March 29)
- Proof even billionaires can’t resist the annoying habit of tweeting quotes by famous people: “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase” – Martin Luther King, Jr. (March 29)
Pierre Omidyar (@pierre). Ebay founder. Spartan Tweeter. One so far in 2011
- Way to keep that money from isolating you tweet: Hello, Big Apple! (I hope they still call it that.) #cgi2010 (Sept 19)
- Even billionaires name drop: Just met Wolf Blitzer today. Having been in both, his Situation Room is a lot fancier than the White House’s. (June 14)
Eric Schmidt (@EricSchmidt): Google Executive Chairman.
- Best ‘I’ve got a new job’ tweet: Day-to-day adult supervision no longer needed! http://goo.gl/zC89p (Jan 20)
- Most insightful tweet: Surprisingly interesting on Leadership and solitude and thinking:http://bit.ly/bkuH97 (July 7)
Richard Branson (@richardbranson). World’s richest Virgin.
- Join the club, tweet: Who is the #entrepreneur I most admire? Steve Jobs. http://ow.ly/4puJr (March 30)
- Most brilliant tweet: Just had a brilliant day running around London meeting our brilliant @virginstaff! http://twitpic.com/47w1rz
- Best eavesdropping tweet: @jimmyfallon: I’m having a party on Necker this weekend. You should come down & we’ll discuss. Here is the info:http://bit.ly/aCmyHw (Oct 28)
Oprah Winfrey (@Oprah). Do I really need to explain?
- Most interesting recent tweet: I get so sick of people trying to create fights and feuds when women are in business. Don’t buy into it. (Feb 23)
- Would you have changed something if I tweeted back? What do you think of the episode so far? #OprahLiveTweet (March 27)
- It insults the Aborigines if you climb it, but maybe not if you did Oprah: The sunset at Uluru was breathtaking#OprahLiveTweet (March 27)
Mark Cuban (@mcuban). Dotcom billionaire, TV star and Dallas Mavericks owner
- The ‘I’m heir to Donald Trump‘ tweet: There is no way you can watch#sharktank and not believe that the American Dream is alive and well..#LOVETHISCOUNTRY
- The ‘I’m heir to Henry F. Potter’ tweet: Sending someone an email every day is not persistence, its laziness #loser
- The ‘I have an assistant who tweets for me’ tweet: Mark Cuban Shoots Straighthttp://shar.es/3GfGz (Feb 16)
Surely I’ve missed some of the billionaires on Twitter. If so let me know below or send an email. And I’m on Twitter too!